Want a shiny, strong, healthy looking mane? Lay the groundwork by looking after your scalp as you would the skin on your face.
Your scalp is the foundation of great hair, and yet it’s an area that is commonly misunderstood. Let’s start with the basics, the structure. Each of the roughly 100,000 hairs on your head grows from and through a follicle in your scalp. Follicles open to the surface of the scalp, providing hair with a convenient exit point. Every single one of those follicles is attached to a sebaceous gland that releases sebum, a natural oil our bodies produce to moisturize our skin and hair.
Just as clear pores equal clean skin, it’s important to keep these follicle openings clear, clean and obstacle free. Like skin everywhere else on your body, dead skin, grime, product residue and excess sebum can build up and block the follicles on your head. Blockage prevents sebum from being released to work its moisturizing magic, and in extreme cases can even cause the hair production of follicles to cease.
Here are our very best Noughty little tips for scalps:
- For beautiful, thick manes of hair, pay more attention to your scalp. The surface of all skin from head to toe is continuously renewed, thanks to a constant cycling of cells that divide deep in the epidermis and work their way up to the surface of the skin. A dense mane of hair can make it harder for a scalp to do this, so it’s important that we give it a helping hand. Regular brushing, washing, massaging and even exfoliation, help to keep your scalp in healthy condition and your follicles clear for renewal to take place undisturbed.
- Cut out the nasties. Sulphates and silicones can wreak havoc with your scalp. Sulphates are well known to cause irritation, and silicones are a prime culprit in causing blockage to follicles. Using natural shampoos like Noughty that don’t contain either of these ingredients will contribute to a flaw-free scalp, primed for the mane of your dreams.
- For particularly sensitive, irritated or dandruff-prone scalps, our Care Taker Shampoo is just what the doctor ordered. The 97% natural formula gently cleanses and instantly relieves dry, itchy scalps. Rich in scalp soothing ingredients such as bisabolol and oatmeal extract that relieve irritation, it will help to leave your scalp feeling super soothed.
- Use a Scalp Tonic to give your scalp a bit more TLC.
- Frequent heat styling is another foe for the scalp. Using heat on your hair causes the moisture within it to evaporate, leaving not only your hair but also your scalp dry. We obviously aren’t going to tell you to ditch the straighteners because we love styled hair too, but take care to replenish your hair’s moisture after with a nourishing treatment like our Intensive Care Leave-In Conditioner.
So now you know: a healthy scalp equals healthy hair. Give it a try- a little extra scalp love will be reflected from root to tip.